FutureQuest, Inc. FutureQuest, Inc. FutureQuest, Inc.

FutureQuest, Inc.
Go Back   FutureQuest Community > General Site Owner Support (All may read/respond) > General Computing
User Name
Password  Lost PW

Old 03-10-2012, 02:31 PM   Postid: 181087
Wassercrats
Site Owner

Forum Notability:
291 pts: An Honor To Be Around
[Post Feedback]

Compressing files broke computer

I've been running low on memory and needing to clear my temporary files a lot lately so I decided to compress all files on my c drive. It saved a lot of memory but the hard drive shut down less than 24 hours later (last night). Could be the solar thing but I assume it's from the computer working harder to decompress stuff. So, if you're running out of disk space you may not want to compress your entire c drive.

So now I'm shopping for a computer, just when my Futurequest bill is due. Any recommendations? Dell is still good, right?
Wassercrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:34 PM   Postid: 181091
Wassercrats
Site Owner

Forum Notability:
[Post Feedback]

Re: Compressing files broke computer

No gaming, BTW. And I don't need much of anything else. As usual, the one or two things I'd like are hard to find in the low cost models, like USB 3, but no big deal. I don't like the long top light on the HP Pavilion I saw at Staples, and I read that the Dell Inspiron i60-228NBK is loud. I printed out an Office Depot coupon, and I need some Office Depot tote boxes anyway, so meet me there if you have any recommendations.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 AM   Postid: 181095
oheso

Forum Notability:
261 pts: An Honor To Be Around
[Post Feedback]

Good luck with the shopping. I have found the USB 3 is not ready for prime time, by the way. Even with the latest drivers I've hard repeated blue screens on motherboards from more than one maker. I get stability when I disable it.
oheso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM   Postid: 181101
Wassercrats
Site Owner

Forum Notability:
[Post Feedback]

It's like there's some force of nature preventing me from being satisfied no matter how easy to satisfy I think I am. I was standing in line with a computer at Best Buy when the check out girl tells gives me a disclaimer that Windows 7 isn't included. I say i don't want it and bring it back to the shelf where I double check about Windows 7. Both the tag on the shelf and the computer say Windows 7. I ask the next sales person who comes around whether the computer comes with Windows 7 and she says no. What she says after I point out the tags, about a preliminary version or something, made no difference to me at that point. I had already heard another sales person say it doesn't come with a restore disk, which didn't sound too bad and I was ready to buy it anyway, but 15 minutes later he's still emphasizing it to the customer and saying that if it crashes he'll need a new computer. I think he said all the computers are like that.

When I got home, I looked into this using a 24 hour internet pass on my cellphone (getting it was a whole other ordeal, but i'll just say that I hate T-Mobile). It looks like some computers still come with restore disks or at least restore partitions. I guess Best Buy specializes in computers without them.

I did more research and I think I'll order a Lenovo 2227-A2U, which comes with "Genuine Windows professional." I guess if it doesn't say "genuine" it's not really Windows, and I guess I'm getting a restore disk.

I would have replied last night but I can't log on with my cell phone. Either this forum doesn't support my mobile browser or the Web Guard is the problem. I couldn't log into my cell phone account because I think my password contains a character that isn't enterable with my cell phone, so when I get a chance, I'll use a library computer to change my passwords and turn off Web Guard.

I'm not ordering until tomorrow morning, so I can still be persuaded away from the Lenovo. I never heard of Lenovo until two days ago.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM   Postid: 181102
 Kevin
Systems Administrator

Lenovo is the company that used to make desktops and laptops for IBM. Their high end laptops are great but I don't know much about their desktops.

Where were you planning to order it from? Looks like the price ranges vary quite a bit. Also, the hard drive and RAM are a bit small for today so I would expect it to be fairly low cost.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM   Postid: 181103
 Kevin
Systems Administrator

Also, double check your monitor. This system has the pretty new DisplayPort and the very old analog VGA connectors but not the DVI or HDMI that was used in the years between which are what most monitors use.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM   Postid: 181104
 Bob
Service Rep

I personally am still a Fan of Dell, every machine I have, there are a few between me (4) and Family (5), are Dells, as well as three Dell Streaks. All are Inspirons except my Main machine which is an XPS 8300 and I have been more than happy with them.

Most have been bought from the Dell Outlet, same warranty as a new machine, and my main machine, the XPS 8300, which cost $630 has an i7 processor, 1TB hard drive, video card and 12 GB RAM.

Currently Dell has i3 and i5 Inspirons with 1TB HD and 4 and 6 GB RAM for $450 and $550, new... With Win 7...

I can't comment on noise as I do not exist in a quiet environment, music is playing almost 24 X 7...

Now many Dells do not come with a Windows Restore Disk however they have a restore partition and you can make your own disk and I believe you can buy a restore disk relatively cheaply...

Just my two cents, when adjusted for today's inflation are worthless

-Bob
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM   Postid: 181105
skolnick
Site Owner

Forum Notability:
117 pts: Helpful Contributor
[Post Feedback]

Best Buy is the devil.

S/V Auspicious
lying Annapolis MD

On the eighth day there were regular expressions.
--me

pay it forward
skolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 AM   Postid: 181106
 Kevin
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolnick View Post
Best Buy is the devil.
I wouldn't go that far. If you need something right now they aren't that bad. I cooked my receiver a while back and needed an immediate replacement and got a pretty good deal at Best Buy. They even seemed to have improved in the several years since I had been there.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 PM   Postid: 181108
Wassercrats
Site Owner

Forum Notability:
[Post Feedback]

Not sure where to buy it yet, but I'm considering abesofmaine. I don't care about monitor support because I need a new monitor anyway. I want to put Linux on another partition, but I still don't think I need more memory or disk space than the Lenovo has. The only thing I'm wondering about is the value. I want Windows 7 Pro though. I didn't order it yet. Maybe later. Oh, and the small form factor helps a lot.