The problem is that at some point in the ezMLM system something goes away, or gets added that disrupts the MIME information. Since the exact data is passed to the archives, I would suppose that when I get a message from the archive (via email@example.com
) the data would be interpreted by Outlook (reading the MIME information) and show that there is an attachment. Only, when Outlook gets the data it displays it all as text. Looking at the e-mails I have got via this method, I think it may have something to do with the fact that ezMLM appeared to add "> " to every new line. The only thing I can think of is that this disrupts the MIME information as well as the encoded attachment.
You are exactly right. When using the "get" command to retrieve messages from the list archives, ezmlm does modify the message. Ezmlm is not MIME aware, and it does disrupt the MIME encoding by adding the "> " to the beginning of the lines, plus some boilerplate text at the beginning of the retrieved message.
The messages as stored in the archive are exact copies of the messages as they were received by ezmlm, but when using the "get" command to send copies out in response to an email request, ezmlm does the modifications described above, which prevents MIME-aware mail readers from reading the original content of messages containing attachments.
As a suggestion, a possible workaround for this situation would be to maintain a web browsable archive. I've found Mhonarc to be relatively easy to set up, and it is MIME aware. I've sent photos, binary attachments and more to my ezmlm Mhonarc archives, and Mhonarc makes it all available on a web page. This might do the trick for you.
Searching on Mhonarc in these forums should turn up several previous discussions on setting up and using Mhonarc.
Here is one of those discussions: