Hi all,(this is a long one...please help if you can
I spent a few hours reading the info on FQ's different sections and I liked what I learned about FQ.
My questions are to FQ and all. I want to move from my current host to some other one and FQ looks like a good choice. My site needs aren't the usual ones. Could someone please help me make up my mind?
- never got more than 100 hits a day
- doesn't sell anything
- is mainly for my personal/my family members use
- my family members need email, a small news section, a small discussion space, etc
- I'm a SW developer and I need to host a small homepage of my services/SW.
- (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT) I also need this service for running my web utilities CGI scripts(like something that tells ppl I'm online). Some of which I might write myself.
- (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT) I also need the service so I can have access to a UNIX account for development tools and providing me(alone) with services like quick FTP. That is, I want to have a powerfull shell account.
, do you think FQ is a good place for this? Are they willing to do small changes(e.g. change my telnet port) if I ever have access problems? What do you think?
I know that FQ has EXCELLENT support, something that I'll take over a good server, and that's why I like them. I looked at their offers and they seem to cover all my "web pages" needs(e.g. logs, PHP) but I have a few more questions ( I DO ask a lot of questions
With the full domain package
- do I get my own IP?
- can I make a subdomain_of.MY_own_domain.com(with a DNS record change) point to a place not on my site; like to everyone.net search plugin?
- can I make other(than 404) custom error pages(like 403 & 500)?
- can I assign quotas to some of my email users(I don't want my kid bros eating my server space ;-))?
- Say(just imagine) I get a client(yeah right) who wants me to build him a web site with his own domain. With FQ's services, would that client suffer from problems(email, CGI scripts, sendmail, etc) just because his domain is hosted on my space/VS?
Thanks for reading all of this
. I have a comment about FQ. They are different, and they are GOOD! I really love the way they run this business. Someone said its a family business(not a big company) and it still manages to EXCEL! Even if I don't join, I'd like to thank FQ's team(family?) on their good job.