Let me start off by saying that I was badly burned by Webhosting.com, my current hosting provider. What turned me onto Webhosting.com was their abundant features for a great price. Their claim of world class customer service (which I later found out to be false), was also a factor. The clincher was that they were based in Toronto, Ontario - Canada (15 minutes from where I live).
Quick list of issues:
- It took them 4 days to setup my account. I requested a domain pointer for my .net domain and it took them 4 weeks, 3 attempts and 10 problems tickets before they had it resolved.
- Problem tickets. Not only is their support CONTRACTED to technicians in the US but turn around times, even for the simplest of problems, is two to three days. Half the time the problems never got resolved or only partially resolved. This required yet another ticket etc.
- Email server continually crashed. Instead of holding undeliverable messages the server just deleted them. I lost over 30 emails (I run a programming/development site).
- The 'control panel' was more like the 'torture panel'. I'd create FTP accounts in the control panel but they'd never get updated to the server; i.e. they wouldn't work. This forced me to go through a technician to have the accounts created (or the passwords changed). Since turn around times on tickets are 3-4 days (or longer) this made managing my website a nightmare.
- NTFS directory permissions randomly appeared on my root directory level, sub directories etc.
- The final straw was when my domain pointer (.net) stopped work again. Now it just points to the \Inetpub directory. Smart people will realise that this gives them download access to my cgi-bin (no idea why - security permissions should stop that).
So that is my story. I'm now looking for a reliable host.
After learning of futurequest.com from the Ultimate Bulletin board forums I came to these forums. I was really impressed by the technicians' knowledge and willingness to help; especially with that PHP3 issue and the user Heath.
I would have never expected that kind of service - from anyone. That really impressed me.
The control panel seems fantastic. It appears that you have a great deal of control with it.
So, I've come here to ask your opinion of FutureQuest.com. Tell me what you think.
Thanks in advance.